Saturday, May 4, 2019

Question for Mom


Are fresh ginger and ground ginger interchangeable? – Stephanie A.

I used to think they were, but after doing some research I discovered that the answer is NO.  Ground ginger is the spice of choice for baking.  I’ve often used it in stir-fries, soups and casseroles, and it provided a good flavor. So I seldom go to the trouble of peeling and dicing fresh ginger.

I did wonder why fresh ginger didn’t seem to add much flavor, but
now I know why.  If you substitute fresh ginger for ground ginger, you need to vastly increase the amount of fresh ginger—something I did not do.

The Cook’s Thesaurus says “1 tablespoon fresh ginger equals 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.”  The website also describes fresh ginger as “a rhizome, which is a knobby underground stem that has pungent and flavorful flesh.  Ground ginger isn't a good substitute for fresh.”  

If I am planning to use fresh ginger, I try to buy it just before I need it.  That way it won’t have time to dry out, shrink or grow moldy. If it gets into my vegetable bin, I often forget it’s there. 

On occasion I have put fresh ginger in the freezer, but again it may slip my mind.  If your memory is better than mine, here’s how to freeze it: 

When is it worth making the effort to use fresh ginger?  I like to add it to soups and stir-fries when I add the fresh garlic.  Cut off an inch of ginger, peel it gently and chop it as finely as you can.  Here are two vegetable dishes that benefit from fresh ginger:  Baby Bok Choy and Asian Chicken Slaw.

                                                       See all Questions for Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment