Monday, July 8, 2019

Baby Bellas: What Are They and How Do I Cook Them?


I was in such a hurry to complete my grocery shopping the other day that I grabbed the first package of mushrooms I saw, not paying attention to what the label said. Only when I was putting them in the vegetable bin did I notice I’d purchased “Baby Bella Sliced Mushrooms.”

They were brown and looked somewhat like traditional sliced white mushrooms but on steroids. The slices were bigger, thicker and healthier looking.

After a little research I discovered that “Bellas” were actually immature portobello mushrooms. I like Portobello mushrooms but I’d never cut up these large mushrooms, preferring instead to bake them whole and eat them as I would a hamburger. 

The mini-version was perfect for a pasta sauce.  I combined them with bacon and cream and had a brand new dinner in the time it took to cook the pasta.


Mini-Raviolis with Mushrooms and Bacon – serves 2 
2 slices bacon
8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup light cream or sour cream
1/4 cup chicken broth or water
1 1/2 cups uncooked mini-raviolis
Parmesan cheese 
Half-fill a large pot with water, cover and begin heating over high heat. While waiting for the water to heat, make the sauce.  
Put the bacon slices into a heavy frying pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring regularly as the bacon gives up its fat and begins to brown.  Turn the slices over and cook for another minute.  Remove the cooked bacon and let it drain on a paper towel-covered plate. When cool, cut the bacon into 1/2-inch pieces and set side. 
Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt and black pepper to the remaining bacon fat in the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms begin to soften. Add the cream or sour cream and the broth or water and stir gently to combine. Remove from the heat and set aside. 
When the water comes to a boil, add the mini-raviolis and cook for the designated time on the package.  About 2 minutes before the mini-raviolis are ready, reheat the mushroom and bacon sauce.
Drain the mini-raviolis and add them to the sauce.  Serve with Parmesan cheese.
                     For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment