Thursday, July 25, 2019

How to Pick a Cookbook That Works for You


I have a lot of cookbooks.  Partly it’s because I’ve written a few myself, and partly it’s because I’m always trying new dishes.

Along the way I’ve learned a few things.  I don’t want cookbooks that have beautiful pictures or fancily-named foods with dozens of ingredients, many of which I’ve never heard of.  Also, I avoid books that use a lot of canned foods or specialize in recipes from the 1950s.  It’s surprising how often I come across tuna noodle casserole.

The cookbooks I wrote with my son are basic beginner books. They got a little more complicated as he became a better cook.  Bottom line, though, is this: I don’t write about foods that I would never make.

On the other hand, I have experimented with ingredients I don’t normally buy, and I’ve had some success widening my tastes. 

I also like to use up leftovers, often disguising them.  In fact I’m doing that tonight.  I have some leftover chicken, some penne pasta and a few tomatoes, so we’re having Chicken Arrabbiata.  It’s based on a dish I wrote about in HELP! My Apartment Has a Dining Room.
Chicken Arrabbiata – serves 2 
1 1/2 cups uncooked penne
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like really spicy food)
2 Roma tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
Parmesan cheese 
Half-fill a large pot with water and begin heating over high heat. When the water comes to a boil, add the penne and cook according to directions. 
While the penne is cooking, make the sauce.  Begin heating the oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, lower the heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes.  When the tomatoes have softened, add the marina sauce and chicken and mix.  Turn off the heat and set aside until the penne is cooked. 
To serve, reheat the sauce and add the penne.  Mix thoroughly and offer Parmesan cheese. 
                           For easy recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment