Sunday, July 21, 2019

My Favorite Freezer Food: Shrimp


I could have said croissants, bagels or leftovers, but I picked shrimp because it is so versatile. 

I used to think that shrimp cocktail was the only way to eat shrimp, but I was young and stupid then.  Because I grew up in a small town with limited grocery store options and restaurants, I didn’t think about food too much.  I just ate what was put in front of me. 

When I started cooking for myself, I never considered making shrimp cocktail.  It was a restaurant appetizer and too fancy to serve at home.

Years of travel and living abroad opened my eyes to the many dishes that benefitted from a few handfuls of shrimp—including Shrimp Curry, Shrimp Salad, Shrimp Scampi, Shrimp Stir-Fry. The list goes on and on.

Here’s my take on Penne with Shrimp Sauce, a dish I had recently at a local Italian restaurant.  It was easy to make and easy to eat. There were no leftovers!
Penne with Shrimp Sauce – serves 2 
1/2 pound medium shrimp (31-40 shrimp per pound), defrosted overnight if frozen
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 cup prepared marina or vodka sauce
1 1/2 cups uncooked penne
Parmesan cheese (optional) 
Fill a medium pot two-thirds full of cold water and begin heating over high heat.  This is for the penne. 
Peel the shrimp, if needed, and discard the shells. 
Begin heating the olive oil in a frying pan.  When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir to keep from browning.  After 30 seconds, add the shrimp and stir-fry until the shrimp are cooked—about 3 minutes.  If you are using cooked shrimp, stir-fry just until they are hot.  Add the marina or vodka sauce and stir until the sauce and shrimp are well combined.  Remove from the heat and set aside. 
When the water comes to a boil, add the penne and cook according to the package directions. 
A few minutes before the penne is done, reheat the shrimp sauce over medium heat.
Drain the penne and distribute it in 2 bowls.  Top with shrimp sauce and serve with Parmesan cheese, if desired.

                 For easy recipes, order Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment