Thursday, October 10, 2019

Don’t Cook for 10 When You Are Feeding 2


I’m a big fan of roast pork, but I don’t like it enough to eat it 5 days running.  I have gone that route several times, and each time I decide No More.
  Freezing the leftovers is not an option.  Despite my carefully labeling, I invariably ignore them whenever I‘m hungry.  Maybe it’s the smell of roasting pork that appeals to me more than the taste.

Now that I have stumbled on country-style pork ribs, I can roast 1 or 2 of them, shred the meat, add BBQ sauce and serve Bart and me with very little effort.  The kitchen smells wonderful, and I can over-eat because I know there won’t be enough for leftovers!
Roast Pork Sandwiches - serves 2   
2 country-style pork ribs
1/4 cup cider vinegar
8 black peppercorns
Water
BBQ Sauce
Buns (4 small or 2 large) 
Combine the pork ribs, cider and peppercorns in a medium pot.  Add enough water to cover + 1 more cup.  Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.  Check periodically to make sure the water hasn’t boiled away.  Add more water as needed. 
 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Transfer the ribs to a small pan and roast for 45 minutes. The meat should be very tender and easy to pull apart with a knife and fork or with your fingers.  Turn off the heat and let the ribs cool in the pan.  Discard any liquid. 
When the ribs can be easily handled, pull off the meat in shreds.  Refrigerate, covered, until needed.  
When you are ready to serve, heat the buns in the oven at 350 degrees. Reheat the pork in a small pan and stir in 1/4 cup BBQ Sauce.  Fill the buns with shredded meat and pass the BBQ sauce.   
                 For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment