Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Easiest Lunch Ever!

Starting in 7th grade I ate the same lunch almost every day for six years—a homemade tuna salad sandwich.  Strangely I never tired of it.  Recently I have returned to this lunch, although I may substitute a tortilla or whole wheat toast for the white bread.


Or, if I’ve been to the grocery store and located a package of Thomas English Muffins, I’ll eat my tuna salad on toasted English muffin halves.  I’ll toast 2 muffin halves in a toaster, top them with tuna salad and add a slice of cheddar cheese.  Then I’ll broil them in the oven on high for about 1 minute, or until the cheese melts. 

Tuna Melt – serves 2

2 English muffins
1/2 cup Tuna Salad + more if needed (see recipe below)
4 thin slices cheddar cheese

Tuna Salad

1 6½-ounce can tuna (white or light tuna in water)
1 scallion or 2 ¼-inch slices red onion, cut into ½-inch pieces
1-2 teaspoons mayonnaise (to your taste)

Drain and discard the liquid from the tuna.  Transfer the tuna to a small bowl and, using a fork, separate the tuna into flakes.  Add the scallion or red onion pieces and 1 teaspoon mayonnaise and mix thoroughly.  Add more mayonnaise if you prefer the salad to be moister.  Cover and refrigerate until needed.

Place the top oven rack about 4 inches from the broiling unit in your oven and begin heating to high.

Separate the muffins into 2 halves and toast them in a toaster until they begin to brown.  When toasted, transfer them to a baking sheet and top with tuna salad.  Put 1 slice cheddar cheese on top of each muffin and place under the broiling unit for about 1 minute, or until the cheese melts.  Watch carefully because the cheese will burn if left in too long.  Serve at once.

                        For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment