Thursday, June 11, 2020

Question for Mom

Roasted Rockfish

One reason that I don’t cook fish very often is that I never know when it’s done.  Can you give me some advice? –William T.

Unlike meat, which becomes firm when it is fully cooked, fish will flake when it’s ready to eat. Flaking means that when you insert a fork into it, a fully cooked piece of fish will separate into thin sections called flakes.  If it does not separate into flakes, it needs more cooking.  Test it again after another 1-2 minutes.  You don’t want to overcook fish because it will become dry and unappetizing. 

A lot of cooks use the 10-minute rule, which states: Measure the fish at its thickest point and cook it about 10 minutes per inch.  Some people turn the fish over after 5 minutes of cooking.  I prefer baking my fish in the oven, and I do not turn it over when it is half-cooked.  I prefer a crunchy topping.  Click here for a simple but tasty way to cook fish filets.
                               For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment