Sunday, February 25, 2018

Disguising a Food Purchase Mistake


When I was at my local supermarket recently, I discovered a two-pound bag of individually frozen salmon fillets on sale and immediately bought a package.  The price was right--$5.99 for 6 fillets instead of $12.99.

I pan-fried two of them for dinner that night and got a resounding boo from my husband.  After a few bites, he pushed the salmon around his plate for a while and then took an extra helping of rice.  Seldom has he been so negative about what I cook.

I couldn’t bring myself to throw out the other fillets.  I figured I would eat them when he was away on a trip. 

A few weeks later I had an idea.
  I would use some of that salmon to make Salmon Chowder.  I occasionally make Fish Chowder, so I simply adapted the recipe.  I also made lots of garlic bread in case he didn’t like this new soup.  But he did like it.  I didn’t mention where the salmon came from.
Salmon Chowder – serves 2 
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup fresh, canned or frozen corn kernels
2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup milk + more if needed
1/4 cup sour cream
6-to-8 ounce skinless, boneless salmon filet, cut into 1-inch chunks
4 scallions, white and green parts cut into 1/2-inch slices 
Put potato cubes into a small pot and cover with water.  Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a knife.  Drain and set aside. 
Put the olive or canola oil in a medium-size pot and begin heating over medium-high heat.  Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, constantly stirring, for about 30 seconds, or until the garlic sizzles. 
Add the corn, bacon, salt, black pepper, milk and sour cream and stir until the sour cream is incorporated.  Add the salmon pieces and potatoes and stir again.  Cover and cook over medium heat for 6-to-8 minutes, until the salmon easily flakes.  
Turn off the heat, add the scallions and stir.  Then with the back of a spoon, mash about 1/2 of the potato cubes against the side of the pot and stir into the soup liquid.  Chowder is a thick soup, but if it’s too thick for your taste add 1/4 cup more milk and stir.  Continue adding more milk until the soup is the consistency you like. 
                      For more recipes, order "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment